What we know about Gillardgate:
- Back in the 1990s Julia Gillard was in a romantic relationship with former AWU official Bruce Wilson,
- Bruce Wilson had Julia Gillard set-up a number of bank accounts under the guise of AWU operations,
- Julia Gillard was the AWU’s legal counsel,
- The bank accounts turned out to be funnelling union money to pay for Bruce Wilson’s personal expenses, around $1 million,
- When found out, Bruce Wilson sought legal counsel from Slater and Gordon as represented by Julia Gillard,
- Gillard left Slater and Gordon. In 1995 in Victoria’s Parliament it was claimed the reason Gillard left was to work for the AWU to pay back the money involved in Wilson’s scam.
- In 2001 in Victoria’s Parliament it was detailed that out of the $1 million stolen, $57,500 went directly to Julia Gillard: $17,500 was spent on clothing at Town Mode and $40,000 spent on renovations to her house in Melbourne.
- Gillard has generally denied any suggestion that she did anything wrong, saying that she was ‘young and naïve’ at the time and did not know what was going on.
- Last week an affidavit was signed by a former AWU official, interviewed and fact checked by 2UE’s Michael Smith, that substantiates claims of wrong doing and also details that Gillard and Wilson were in a de facto relationship and that AWU bribery and stand-over tactics were used to shut the issue up. It is claimed these tactics included the involvement of a Federal ALP figure, Senator Stephen Conroy…..I think.
- This week Julia Gillard and her people have been hurriedly ringing the media trying to get the story closed down, including getting The Australian to pull a Glenn Milne article which detailed the points above. Andrew Bolt has also been muzzled over at the Herald Sun from publishing a similar article – although this article may be published tomorrow, probably electronically. The media have been pulling any article from the web referencing the scandal from 2007.
- Michael Smith is still trying to get permission from 2UE to play the full 30 minute interview with his former AWU contact.
I have no idea how true or untrue the details above are and I am not accusing anyone. However, we do know that Gillard was in a relationship with an AWU official (Bruce Wilson) while also acting as the AWU’s legal counsel and that she did set-up the bank accounts under question for Bruce Wilson. Gillard has admitted as much.
My only question: Who was getting and/or reading the bank account statements, Bruce Wilson or Julia Gillard?
Here is the affidavit signed by Bob Kernohan and vetted by 2UE’s Michael Smith which details that Gillard and Wilson shared a home paid for with corrupt AWU money. The declaration is not really ground breaking. It is a case of ‘he said that, who heard that’, mmm…….No silver bullet here.